New recommendations advises the use of 2 rotavirus vaccine in infants i.e. RV5 and RV1.
. Administration schedule are different for RV5 and RV1.
· Schedule for RV5 is a 3-dose series, with doses given at ages 2, 4, and 6 months
· Schedule for RV1 is a 2-dose series, with doses to be given at ages 2 and 4 months
The revise recommendations are;
· The minimum age for dose 1 of rotavirus vaccine is now 14 weeks and 6 days, increased from the previous recommendation of 12 weeks.
· The maximum age for the last dose of rotavirus vaccine is now to 8 months and 0 days, whereas the previous recommendation was 32 weeks.
· Between doses of rotavirus vaccine, the minimum interval is now 4 weeks, and no maximum interval is set.
· Although the 2006 statement recommended deferring vaccination, if possible, for 42 days after receiving an antibody-containing product, the current statement allows for the administration of rotavirus vaccine at any time before, concurrent with, or after administration of any blood product, including antibody-containing products, following the routinely recommended schedule for rotavirus vaccine.
· Vaccine can be administered to breast-fed infants.
· Vaccine can be administered to infants with mild GE or other mild illness.